Uterine or Vaginal Infections: What you should know?
Vaginal infections or uterine infection occurs when microorganisms like fungi, yeast, bacteria, viruses etc grows around the vaginal area. It is common in woman, but can turn dangerous if not treated properly. The infections may result in sexually transmitted diseases as well.
Symptoms of Vaginal Infection
Vaginal infections are mainly categorized by discharges from the vagina, which will be accompanied by a foul smell. Common symptoms of vaginal infection include:
- Uncommon discharges from the vagina
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Abdominal pain
- Pain while urinating
- Bloody discharge after sexual intercourse
- Itching around the vaginal area
- Soreness, redness, Inflammation around the vaginal area
- Pain in the vulva
Causes of Vaginal Infection
As you know, there are certain kinds of bacteria that live around the vaginal area. The main cause of vaginal infection occurs when the pH level or the acidity level of the vagina becomes low. It promotes the growth of infectious bacteria and kills the protective bacteria which are already present in the vaginal area. Other causes of vaginal infection are:
- Any factor that can lead to a decrease in the acidity level of the vaginal area can cause infection
- Stress and hormonal changes
- Lack of hygiene can lead to increased number of bacteria which may lead to infections
- Use of tight clothes or undergarments may trigger bacterial infections as it will absorb moisture
- Unprotected sex or sexually transmitted diseases
- Use of new soaps, talcum powders or similar foreign bodies in the vaginal area
- Use of tampons or sanitary pads for longer time
- Usage of certain contraceptive methods
Common types of Vaginal Infections
Vaginal infections are of different types. It is mainly classified on the type of microorganism that is responsible for creating the infection. Here you can read about the most common types of vaginal infections.
Bacterial Vaginosis: It is comparatively a mild vaginal infection, which is commonly caused when the woman has multiple sexual partners. The common symptom for this type of Infection is a mild yellow vaginal discharge but many of the women do not have any symptoms.
Trichomonas Vaginitis: It is a sexually transmitted disease which is caused by a microorganism called as trichonomas vaginalis. The symptoms include vaginal itching and irritation, painful urination, foul-smelling vaginal discharge, pain during intercourse etc.
Yeast Infections: It is caused by a type of yeast called Candida Albicans. It can occur due to antibiotics intake, stress, weak immune system, hormonal difference, pregnancy, lack of sleep etc. You will experience soreness, itching, burning, soreness, rashes, etc in this type of infection.
Treatment for vaginal infection
If you show up any of the symptoms of vaginal infection, you should meet the doctor and take bacterial infection treatment to avoid further risks. The doctor will help you to diagnose the type of infection through a physical examination and lab test and advice medication if needed. Proper hygiene should be maintained to avoid infection.