Recurrent miscarriage means two or more failures of pregnancies. About 1% of the females who are trying for a pregnancy suffer from recurrent miscarriage due to several reasons. Some causes for continuous miscarriage are as follows:
1. Genetic abnormalities of fetus
2. Advanced maternal age
3. Week or abnormal shape of the uterus
4. Infections in uterine cavity or associated area
5. Inadequate or irregular hormonal levels
6. Blood clotting abnormalities in the mother
Apart from these factors there are situation where in which the reasons for miscarriage can’t be figured out or remain unknown. This is called as unexplained recurrent miscarriage.
Diagnosis and tests
Various tests and diagnosis are available to figure out the causes for continuous miscarriage. They are explained in detail below:
1. Complete history: The infertility specialist takes a detailed medical history of the patient including the details of the menstrual cycle.
2. Physical exam: A complete physical examination is performed by the Infertility Specialist to understand the health condition of the patient.
3. Ultrasonography: The ultrasound scan is performed to determine the shape and any abnormalities of the uterus. This scan also helps the infertility specialist to understand the presence of any Polyps, Fibroids, or scarring etc.
4. Hysterosalpingography: A hystero-salpingogram is an X-ray of the uterus and the fallopian tubes. It helps the infertility specialist to examine the inside of the uterus and the patency of the tubes and to detect any blocks present in the fallopian tubes.
5. Hysteroscopy: In Hysteroscopy, the inside of the uterine cavity is examined by inserting a hysteroscope through the cervix to diagnose the uterus, ovaries and the fallopian tubes. The hysteroscope has a camera attached to its end that enables the specialist to view enlarged image of the uterine cavity and associated organs.
6. Blood Tests: various blood tests are conducted to validate the presence of orders like thrombophilia, thyroid and diabetes.
7. Genetic Testing: Parental chromosome testing also known as karyogram is performed if there is more than 2 or 3 loss of pregnancy to determine the genetic cause.
Treatments by Infertility Specialist
There are numerous treatments available for infertility treatment depending on the cause of infertility. Some of the Infertility treatments are as discussed below:
1. Uterine abnormality: if any uterine abnormality is discovered then there are various surgical methods to correct the irregularities such as Septal Resection, Polypectomy, Myomectomy etc.
2. Abnormalities in clotting process: if the women who is trying to conceive have abnormality in clotting then certain medications are prescribed to thin out the blood.
3. Thyroid or Diabetes: thyroid related abnormalities can lead to variation in hormone levels that are required for a successful pregnancy. Meditations are provided to stage the hormone levels to adequate requirements. Diabetes also has to be in control for a successful pregnancy.
4. Genetic counseling: Genetic counseling is recommended for patients who have a genetic disorder. Such couples can also opt for the IVF infertility treatment with PGS to select a normal embryo for transfer.
5. Donor gametes: if genetic disorders are not correctable then Donor Gametes may be an option.
6. Surrogacy: women who have non-correctable intra uterine problems are suggested with the option of surrogacy.
Are you or your spouse suffering from recurrent pregnancy loss? Contact Hegde fertility center to get the right treatment. Contact Us to know details about infertility treatment cost.