Surrogacy is an infertility treatment procedure in which another woman gets pregnant and gives birth to a baby for the intended couples. During the surrogacy process, the woman becomes pregnant with her own egg using the sperm of her partner or using donated sperm. This is achieved through artificial insemination or through in vitro fertilization also popularly known as the IVF treatment. In this method of surrogacy, the child has a genetic relation to the parent by using the egg from the mother. Hegde hospital is one the best surrogacy centers in Hyderabad.
Another method is by Gestational carrier arrangements in which the egg from the intended mother or egg donor is fertilized by sperm from the intended father or sperm donor through IVF treatment. In this case the surrogate mother will not be the genetic parent of the baby.
Surrogacy is mainly suggested for women who have:
- Medically unfit to carry the pregnancy or go through labor
- problems with uterus
- The problem in getting pregnant even after trying multiple assisted-reproduction techniques
- Malformation of the womb
- Recurrent pregnancy loss
Surrogacy process can be classified depending on the method taken for the pregnancy and childbirth.
Full surrogacy: Full surrogacy also known as Host or Gestational surrogacy involves the implantation of an embryo created using the following methods:
- Embryo from the eggs and sperm of the intended parents
- a donated egg fertilized with sperm from the intended father
- An embryo developed using donor eggs and sperm.
Partial surrogacy also known as Straight or Traditional surrogacy involves fertilization with sperm from the intended father and an egg from the surrogate. In this method, fertilization is done by artificial insemination or intrauterine insemination (IUI) treatment.
There are mainly three phases in host surrogacy procedure:
- Egg donation: The egg donor undergoes a series of treatment procedures to extract a number of eggs. This may include ovulation stimulation treatment to produce multiple eggs during a cycle and retrieve the eggs through various techniques.
- Fertilization: The egg is then fertilized with sperm in the laboratory under the supervision of infertility specialist
- Transfer: The fertilized egg or embryo is then transferred into the womb of the surrogate mother.
Chances of having a Baby with Surrogacy
The success rate with surrogacy depends on many factors such as:
- Surrogate’s capability to become pregnant and her health condition
- Age of the egg donor
- IVF treatment success rate
- Quality of gametes
Risks of Surrogacy in India
The risks associated with surrogacy depend on the type of the surrogacy treatment. The risks associated with surrogacy are similar to that of IVF. However, risks of passing genetic disorder and life-threatening transmitted diseases like HIV and hepatitis are eliminated by following screening procedures when obtaining the egg and sperm from the donor.
Your Infertility Specialist at Surrogacy Centre in Hyderabad may recommend the donor to undergo a number of tests to ensure no disease is being transmitted so that the chances of success can be increased. To learn more about IVF procedure cost and surrogacy cost contact us. Book an appointment now.