Endometriosis is an abdominal disorder caused by the growth of tissue that line the inside of the uterus (endometrium). This outgrowth of tissues can extend to the ovaries, bowel, or pelvis. The outgrowth of the endometrial tissues over time thickens and breaks down causing heavy bleeding during the menstrual cycle. They form patches of tissues and result in the formation of cysts in the uterus causing severe pain. This can also affect the surrounding tissues in the area and leads to the formation of scar tissues and adhesions.
Symptoms of Endometriosis
Symptoms of endometriosis vary from persons. Pain in the pelvic region is the most common symptom associated with endometriosis. Other symptoms include:
- Pain during the menstrual cycle
- Lower abdominal pain
- Cramps before the menstrual cycle
- Heavy bleeding
- Pain during bowel movement
- pain during sexual intercourse
- Severe back pain during menstrual cycle
Causes of Endometriosis
Some reasons for the development of endometriosis are mentioned below:
- Back Flow of Menstrual Blood: in rare cases during the menstrual cycle, the menstrual blood that contains endometrial cells flow into the pelvic cavity through the fallopian tubes resulting in the formation of endometriosis.
- Surgical scar implantation: the endometriosis tissues may get attached to scar region of previous surgery creating scar implants in the region.
- Immune System Disorder: immunity disorder can also cause endometrial tissues by not able to destroy the tissues that grown outside the uterus.
Endometriosis and infertility
Endometriosis can lead to infertility. The outgrowth of lining of the uterus can form an adhesion in the ovaries making it difficult to release the eggs during ovulation. This leads to infertility as there is no egg to be fertilized. The presence of adhesions that form by the development of endometriosis causes infertility.
Tests and Diagnosis
The Fertility Specialist conducts various tests to detect the presence of endometriosis. They are:
- Pelvic Examination: The infertility specialists examine the presence of any scar at the pelvic region.
- Ultrasonography: To identify the presence of cyst formation due to endometriosis.
- Laparoscopy: to verify the presence of endometrial tissue outside the uterus and to locate the outgrowth of lining of the uterus. Laparoscopy is a small surgical procedure with minimal incisions and enables the specialist to view enlarged image of the uterine cavity.
Infertility treatment from best IVF Center
Infertility specialists provide meditations to ease the pain and discomfort developed by the endometriosis condition. If the condition is severe causing a threat to the fertility of the patient then surgery may be done to remove the outgrown tissues from the area. Some of the conservative treatments are
- Pain Medication: To reduce menstrual cramps and pain
- Hormone Therapy: provides hormone supplements to bring hormone levels in control.
- Conservative surgery: infertility specialist suggests surgery to remove endometriosis to preserve uterus and ovaries and increase the probability of pregnancy.
Hegde fertility has state of the art facility to treat conditions like this. Contact us to book an appointment with our best Infertility Specialist in Hyderabad at +91 9963411266.