Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- irregular menstrual cycles
- excessive body hair
- hair thinning on the scalp
- Overweight problems
- Acne and skin problems
- Presence of cysts in the ovaries
- High levels of male hormones
Diagnosis of PCOS by Gynaecologist
Your infertility specialist from Hegde fertility will study your medical history to determine the reasons for infertility. The patient will be subjected for a physical and pelvic examination to look out for signs and symptoms of PCOS. Various blood tests are performed to measure the hormone levels during the ovulation process, glucose tests to determine blood sugar levels, and lipid tests to determine the cholesterol levels in your blood. Your infertility Specialist from Hegde Fertility also performs ultrasound scans to understand the causes of infertility.
- Right diet: a well-nourished diet and regular exercise are very important for a healthy body. A fiber-rich diet is recommended for patients with overweight due to PCOS. Maintaining good diet and exercising can help reduce the overweight or weight attained due to PCOS to normalize the menstrual cycle and to bring down the blood glucose levels within the allowed limits.
- Taking birth control pills: for irregular menstrual cycles, birth control pills are prescribed to regulate the menstrual cycle. The birth control pills are prescribed by the infertility specialist to assist in the ovulation process of the ovary to produce eggs.
- Other medications: other medications that are used to reduce the symptoms of PCOS include androgen suppressing drugs to reduce the release of androgen hormones and to stop excess hair fall problems. Patients with diabetes are prescribed with meditations to reduce the blood glucose level in the body.
- Surgery: in rare cases, surgery may be recommended by the infertility specialist to treat the ovaries affected by PCOS. This procedure includes inserting a needle with electric current and punctures a part of the ovary. This helps the ovary to encourage ovulation and to release healthy eggs and to reduce male hormone levels in the body.